Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Love Dare Day #12

Do you have bitterness, resentment, hatred in your hearts toward another person?
Because these feelings block us from a more intimate relationship with Christ and cause us to disobey His commandment, "Love your neighbor as you love yourself", we must let go of these feelings. I know that's a lot easier said that done, but I assure you it is not impossible. Some time ago these feelings took over my life. They put a strain on every other relationship I had and I felt worlds apart from my God. I was miserable. I cried out to God repeatedly to help me. To change that person, convict them of their ways, rid me of these feelings. When I was really ready to listen this is what He told me to do- Pray for them. I was actually reading through the Power of the Praying wife when He gave me this revelation. Here is what I read:

Something amazing happens to our hearts when we pray for another person. The hardness melts. We become able to get beyond the hurts and forgive. We even end up loving the person we are praying for. It's miraculous! It happens because when we pray we enter into the presence of God and He fills us with His Spirit of love. When you pray for [someone] the love of God will grow in your heart for them. Not only that, but love will grow in their hearts for you without them even knowing your praying for them! Prayer gives rise to love, love begets more prayer which in turn gives rise to more love. Even if your prayer is not born out of completely selfless motives, your motives will become more unselfish as prayer continues. Prayer is the ultimate love language.*
*excerpt taken from The Power of the Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian

In addition to refraining from negativity, begin praying today for that person(s) in your life that you arbor anger, resentment, bitterness, or hatred towards. Pray for their relationship with Christ. Pray for God to bless them and free them and you from this sin. Pray in love and repent of your own hardness of heart. Ask God to melt it away and give you a heart like His.

No comments: